May 27, 2007

oh puh-leeze!

I made a trip this week to Babies R Us to figure out what we "need" for this next baby. I used to love this store! I would drool over the pricey but wonderful baby gadgets. This time, for some reason, I just feel like screaming "no, you CANNOT have anymore of my money!"

Don't get me wrong. I have a huge list of baby items we just couldn't live without! But some of this stuff they are marketing to new parents...are you kidding me? Here's a few:

1. the sensor/sound monitor. Saw this ad in a magazine. Claims to "detect baby's slightest movement and only sound if no movement is detected for 20 seconds." I guess if it works, it might give some poor paranoid mama a little peace of mind.

But you know how its going to play out. Alarm sounds...awakes exhausted new parents...who race to the nursery...wake the finally sleeping baby...turns out to be a false alarm...repeat 3 times in one night. Good one guys.


2. the battery operated nasal aspirator. Don't you usually only have to squeeze the manual aspirator once or twice to get the job done?? Are people REALLY that lazy? I'm pretty sure the manual aspirator they use in, like, all hospitals in the US is good enough for our medicine cabinet. (oh yeah..this thing plays 12 songs. that's weird.)



3. kid-friendly Dvd carrying case. Could the child not carry the dvd before? Where is everyone taking their DVDs...playgroups, church, the store? and why do kids get all the cool stuff? Blockbuster should totally look into this.

4. the safety turtle pool alarm. So this isn't a bad thing. My thought is...if you're worried enough about your child drowning in your pool to spend the $200 for the wristband alarm, you should probably reconsider pool ownership.


5. the digital pregnancy test. Brian and I love to laugh at these commercials! from the company: Our new one-step digital pregnancy test gives you greater certainty in performing and reading your early home pregnancy test. Results are shown in words, 'Pregnant' or 'Not Pregnant.' No more lines to interpret. There must be a lot of people struggling with the whole plus/minus sign or the 1 v. 2 lines. Now these people will finally know whether or not they've conceived!

6. the bath thermometer toy. These must be popular because I think they were around when I was pregnant with Gracen. Reminds me of a magic 8 ball. At what point is an adult human with a completely capable brain so unable to decided about the bath temp. that they ask a plastic toy? Do these people then drain the bath water and rerun it because "the duck says so?" I guess this isn't a big deal...at least its cheap. But is it really necessary?

That's just a FEW. If you have anymore pet peeve baby products...please post here.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Funny stuff, but we vote more cute pictures of gracen